Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Lauren Kinard


Today's Why Alpha Chi spotlight features Lauren Kinard, a Spring 2009 initiate of the Theta Tau chapter. 


Going to a large school can be a very intimidating experience. There are so many options and so many choices to make. Many people become friends with the people on their floor, since they are all sharing the same experiences at the same time. As a transfer student, I did not get to experience that. 

I was looking for a way to make a giant school like Rutgers seem smaller. I was looking for friends with similar interests to mine. I had trouble making female friends in high school and knew I wanted to change that, so joining a sorority seemed like a no-brainer. Going through formal rush was a whirlwind. I talked to so many girls. I remember speaking with Vivian Feldman at preference, I was so nervous, due to my lack of confidence and inexperience of talking to other girls my age. 

I was thrilled when I got my bid. I was so excited to meet my new member class. I had girls to eat with, to study with, and to explore Rutgers with. Rachel Fine was always willing to do something with me. I fell asleep more than once on her bed while watching TV or helping her craft later on, when she took Amanda as her little. Joanna Wojton loved all things girly with me. We became roommates and it was the best year ever. We’d go out together, vent to each other, and laughed a lot. Michelle Behling and our epic spring break trips. My big, Sherri Smith, was always there whenever I need her. She still is. I’m so excited that I get to stand up with her while she marries the man she loves. My two amazing littles, Kara Borshof and Brittany King, I was so proud to watch them grow and become these amazing strong women I know today. 

Why Alpha Chi? Because of the friends I made. Alpha Chi gave me my future bridesmaids. Alpha Chi gave me a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment